Brett Sorem

BRETT SOREM

Writer / Director / Producer

 

 

 

Writer / Director / Producer: Fault Trace

Why do you make movies?

Simple, I love great stories, characters, and a challenge.  

What story do you want to tell?

I tend to gravitate towards a good suspense story.  As a viewer, I love being kept on my toes.  There's a razors edge between Suspense & Thriller, I'm learning how to balance that blade.

What’s Your Story?

Hi, I am Brett. By day, I am a freelance PR editor (writer, producer, editor, director, cinematographer, fluffer) at a Broadcast Television Network. By night I am a filmmaker, soccer player, & whiskey/beer enthusiast.  My journey consists of turning my night job, in any capacity, into my day job.  With my prime soccer years behind me, and plenty of years for beers ahead, my focus is on filmmaking.  I am an editor by trade, with experience on both sides of the camera. Yeah, I went to film school, but honestly, I learned most of what I know today by watching and making films, both my own and others.  
 
Through years of editing college thesis projects to directing independent features and tv shows, my ability to adapt, alter & enhance every project into an enjoyable piece of entertainment is what got me here.  Most of the up-and-coming filmmakers are not trust fund kids.  We didn't go to school with Steven Spielberg's son, nor was our uncle able to place our film in AFI.  We have to carve out our own future.  

When I was eighteen, I edited my first skateboard video, that sold in shops across San Diego using two VCR's and three buttons. STOP. PLAY. RECORD. From then on I knew, and the rest, they say.... 

What do you want to achieve in your craft?

I want to be able to craft my films well enough so that kids growing up considering filmmaking as their path, or even hobby, would consider my work something they aspire to.

What would you tell a young person with aspirations to be a filmmaker?

A few things. First and foremost, if you're not having fun, you're not doing it right. Surround yourself with people who want to see you succeed. Their effort and commitment will far surpass someone who is just in it for their reel or meal.  Once you start getting the hang of things, keep in mind the trifecta of every project you will ever make: Good, Fast, & Cheap.  I know we currently live in a world where we want everything, however, you can only pick 2 of the 3 for your film. Choose wisely young grasshopper. And last, don't try to compare the beginning of your journey with the middle of someone else's. That's very important.  Embrace your path and tread forward.

What has been your biggest struggle as a filmmaker?

I think I am in the thick of my biggest struggle. I am on a plateau, staring up a steep ladder, with my life's belongings tightly grasped by my side. I can't climb with them. Taking that first step and letting go is the most difficult struggle as a filmmaker. Committing to getting your first film invested in can seem like an insurmountable milestone. But just remember, you can't steal second base with your foot planted on first. 

What do you see as the biggest struggle going forward?

Deciding if the opportunity to tell 90% of your story is worth leaving out the other 10%. And further more, being able to recognize when that extra few percent is just your ego, and when to let go.